The Council in 2009 created the Leonard Holmsten Award to honor the memory of one of the most active and ardent supporters of local philatelic shows in Northern California. The award is a permanent plaque with the recipient’s name and their stamp club and year awarded.
The winner can display the plaque at their stamp club meetings until the next winner is announced. Each year the Council designates one of the local philatelic shows in the Council area as the site of the Holmsten Award competition. The award is given to the highest scoring exhibit displayed by a Council member at the designated show.
- 2009 – Jerry Kasper – Fresno Philatelic Society
- 2010 – William Barlow, Jr. – East Bay Collectors Club
- 2011 – William Barlow, Jr. – East Bay Collectors Club
- 2012 – Joe Ross – PENPEX
- 2013 – Terri Edwards – Greater Reno Stamp & Cover Show
2014 – Mark Woodward – Redding Stamp Club
2015 – Steve Schumann – San Francisco Collectors Club
- 2017 – Bradley Fritts – Southern Oregon Philatelic Society
- 2019 – Nancy Swan –
- 2020 – All shows cancelled due to COVID
- 2021 – Clyde Homen – PENPEX